Thursday, September 3, 2009

Topic: Display Methods

I've been thinking more about how to add another dimension to my work, and after looking at different suggestions that people have made I think I might have come to the best conclusion of how to go about it. I don't think I want to explore physically building a collage 3-dimensionally. While It could work well, I really don't want to leave the accessibility of digital editing behind right now. I've become used to the method and at the same time feel there is a ton more possibility to be had with it.

With that said, I do think I could display these works in a better way once they're printed. Most of my work is printed large with the excess of collaged imagery often displaying more of an environment than the human eye could take in at once (i.e. 360 degree panoramic). As some have suggested, it might be more natural to display these prints on a curved surface rather than flat wall. This should be enough of a step into the 3rd dimension to add that necessary edge to my work without tinkering with the integrity of the process. For example, the sky spiral piece I've been working on could be displayed overhead on a surface (maybe wood?) that curves nearly a half circle. The picture to the left shows the type of shape I have in mind for the backing, but I would use different sizes and degrees of curve. I may even try to shoot for specific projects that can take advantage of this type of display. For instance, I may shoot another 360 degree panoramic that could be displayed in a large full circle that could be viewed from the inside, or maybe a piece where a floor display would match its perspective. I've got some time to think about this, but I need to make sure I start creating these backings relatively soon so I don't end up half-ass'ing them as I admit I've done in the past when it came to creating displays / hanging work.

Image source: http://eartheasy.com/store/prodimages/gdn_raised_curvedtim.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Mat, I'm stoked you are looking into display methods for your work.

    Have you heard of Kim Keever? Jeff told me to look him (her?) up and I thought of you!

    ReplyDelete