Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Topic: John Gerrard 'Directions' Hirshhorn Exhibition

I went to see the Hirshhorn exhibition for John Gerrard, the artist I posted about here. I was waiting for the images I took of it before making this post, but since they weren't on my camera I haven't been able to get them yet. Either way, you really can't experience his work accurately at all through still images, which is why I was so glad to see it. The pieces shown were:


> Dust Storm (Dalhart, Texas), 2007
Realtime 3D projection, 4.5m x 6m













> Animated Scene (Oil Field), 2007
Pair of table-mounted monitors, each: 46 x 59 x 21 in (117 x 149 x 54 cm)











> Grow Finish Unit (near Elkhart, Kansas), 2008
Realtime 3D projection, 4.5m x 6m










Grow Finish Unit was my favorite, although unfortunately it was shown on a monitor and not projected as his website has it listed. The detail was incredible; as the camera made its way closer to the buildings you could peer inside them through the windows. It was really relaxing to sit and watch these pieces as the camera panned slowly around the subject, a feeling that contradicts the conceptual theme against the oil usage and slaughterhouse techniques of American food production. Nonetheless, I think the display methods was effective in presenting the information in a very engaging way.

Dust Storm was the only one that was projected large. The storm references the dangers that our over-farming of land can cause. It was interesting, but the storm seemed very static, which detracted from the passage of time element that his other work embodies so well. It did seem to billow like a cloud, and since I've never seen a large dust storm It could be much more realistic than I'm giving it credit for though. I still wish that Grow Finish Unit had been projected large instead. The final piece showing oil rigs was a bit less engaging for me than the other two were. It seemed a little less fleshed out and detailed.

The exhibition was amazing to see, but I was very disappointed that I couldn't really experience that element of time that intrigues me so much about the work. I went back to see it just before the museum closed at 5:30, so it was close to sunset in the pieces and that was awesome to see, but I really wanted to see them at night. It just boggles my mind that these works are still churning on as I write this now, changing with the seasons, sun, and clouds. To really allow the scope of his work to be experienced it should be available as a live online stream or displayed somewhere with 24 hour public access, like a sort of shop display or something.

I was also a bit disappointed to find that Oil Stick Work was not part of the exhibition. With the worker that meticulously paints a barn throughout a shift each day, it represents the most tangible evidence of time found in any of his work, something that could be seen even during museum hours.

The work was nonetheless incredible, and my disappointments are really just due to my longing to see more of each piece. I'll no doubt be checking up on it anytime I'm in the D.C. area between now and the exhibition's spring closing.

No comments:

Post a Comment